International SOS is a Rice-sponsored service for faculty, students and staff traveling internationally. Rice's Global Assistance Program is managed by International SOS. Operating in over 70 countries, International SOS is the world's leading international healthcare, medical assistance and security services company organization with international operations. A global team of 11,000 employees led by 5,600 medical professionals and 200 security specialists provides health and security support to enable its members to operate wherever they work or travel.
Anyone traveling on University business or for a University related activity is eligible. University business and University related activities/programs are broadly defined as part of professional or academic work including research, attendance or speaking at a conference, study abroad, summer jobs or internships.
Click the following link (https://www.internationalsos.com/elearning/comprehensive/) for an informative and interactive e-learning module which outlines membership services available to you.
Medical Assistance Services:
- 24-hour access to ISOS worldwide alarm centers staffed with multilingual coordinators
- Emergency and routine medical advice by ISOS physicians
- Medical and dental referrals
- Medical evacuation/repatriation
- Outpatient case management
- Arrange for inpatient admission and identify receiving physician
- Arrange ground transportation and accommodation for accompanying family members
- Assistance with documentation for insurance claim forms
- Repatriation of mortal remains
Travel Assistance Services:
- Legal referrals
- Emergency message transmission
- Lost document advice and assistance
- Compassionate visit/family travel assistance
- Return of minors
- Rice University members can purchase ISOS travel assistance services while traveling on vacation and receive a 20% discount.
- To learn more about this option go to the link to International SOS Travel Registration Website.
Security Assistance Services:
- 24-hour access to ISOS security specialists who provide up-to-date security and safety information.
- Access to security crisis center
- Coordination and transportation for security evacuations
For Countries with ISOS Clinics and/or Alarm Centers
- Access to ISOS member-only clinics for primary and 24-hour emergency care
- Country-specific information
- In-country ISOS resources (staff and facilities)
- Direct 24-hour access to local alarm centers for medical information, referrals and appointments
Services via International SOS Online:
- On-line Country Guides (English language)
- On-line Security Country Reports
- On-line Security City Guides
- Employee sign-up/registration for receipt of emailed medical and security Alerts and Situation Updates as they happen.
Steps To Take To Access and Navigate The International SOS Site
- To access this site you must log into the International SOS site using your NetID and password.
- Once on the site go to personal travel locator.
- You will need to copy the auto-generated Member ID number 11BYSG000011 and then select Set Up New User name and password.
- You will need to create a unique User name (e.g., FirstAndLastName: DebraSmith) and a strong user password (e.g., try combining part of your name with part of your phone number and a symbol: Debra4819%).
- Once your information is set up, create a name for your trip (e.g., country, month and year: Sri Lanka Jan 2011).
- Print and take your International SOS member card with you when you travel abroad.
- You may also add the flight information and rental car information.
- You can create a profile and/or enter travel itinerary information at https://www.internationalsos.com/member-zone
- Link to access information on the International SOS Membership App
What You Do In Case of An Emergency While Traveling Abroad
If you are abroad, and a medical or security situation arises, contact International SOS as soon as possible at +1 215-942-8478 (you may call collect) for immediate advice or referral to an appropriate healthcare facility or safe haven. Make sure you provide the the operator with the Rice membership number.